Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Back in the Saddle



Recently at College Fashion's Kaleigh posted 3 tips for dealing with homesickness at college and I must say it made me feel tremendously better. Yes, I still have some low points where I really wish I was at home but now it's not nearly all the time. Now I feel like I can do this, I'm going to pick myself up and jump in. So in addition to the three tips here are a few things I did to shake my "wish-I-was-home-blues"


  1. Find at least one really good friend you can talk to. Find someone that you feel comfortable around, someone who you can have a serious conversation with. Once I found a good friend that not only wanted to hang out but understand and felt the same way as me it really helped. 
  2. Go do something fun. My friends and I (my newly acquired ones) went to see an Improv show and it was amazingly fun. We went to a concert and then stayed up all night laughing and talking. 
  3. Do your homework. Focusing on school will keep you from thinking about home. Especially if you have a million pages of reading like I did. 
  4. Look for little things to look forward to, it will make a long week seem a little shorter. 
  5. Find a familiar face, if you can. It's nice to see someone that will remind you of home, that way you can talk about home with someone else. 
  6. Call home, and talk about some of  the highlights of the week. Your parents want to hear about how you're adapting and it will be nice to hear their voice. But don't talk about the negative stuff, they're already worried about your don't give them another reason. 
  7. Know you're not alone, tons of people across the world (myself included) are going through the same thing you are. It's not stupid or childish to miss your mom. It took me a while to realize it. It's natural and it's okay you just need to learn to cope. 
  8. Do something crazy but not too crazy. I just mean do something you might not normally do. I signed up for co-ed flag football and that's not something I would have done at home. It's nice to know that in college these people don't know you, you can start off with a clean slate. 
I hope that helped because it certainly helped me. Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment